Pages

▼

Monday, October 12, 2015

Laurie Lee 'Cider  With Rosie' II


Further to the last post about the poem in the TV production of Cider With Rosie starring Samantha Morton (amongst others) I forgot to mention that the production also used a song cycle from Arthur Sullivan and Alfred Lord Tennyson called variously 'The Window' or as I would prefer 'The Songs of The Wren' when the Samantha Morton character of Laurie Lee's mother 'Annie' sings

Light, so low in the vale,
You flash and lighten afar;
For this is the golden morning of love,
And you are his morning star.
Flash! I am coming, I come,
By meadow and stile and wood:
O lighten into my eyes and heart,
Into my heart and my blood!

Wedding
Heart are you great enough
For a love that never tires?
O heart are you great enough for love?
I have heard of thorns and briers.

Over the thorns and briers,
Over the meadows and stiles,
Over the world to the end of it
Flash for a million miles!

Over the thorns and briers,
Over the meadows and stiles,
Over the world to the end of it
Flash for a million miles!



It stuck in my memory and I didn't recall whether it was actually used in the book or was a conceit used by the TV production and frankly don't really care but here it is!



Now I have to mention here I would watch Samantha Morton in anything and find her an extraordinary talented actress, I first saw her in a TV drama about p[rsoitiutes I believe and then tried to catch all her work and saw again her performance in Jane Eyre opposite . . . . . in which I thought she was outstanding and heartrendingly right as Jane in it. I liked her in the Tom Cruise movie but thought she was under used in it but she is such a fine actor I would as I have said watch her in anything. She is at once attractive and strong, yet able to play parts of plainness and haunting quirkiness as well as mesmerising








No comments:

Post a Comment