Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2026

Prince - Rock Over Germany, Flugplatz, Luneburg, Germany, 9-3-1993 | ALBUMS THAT SHOULD EXIST

 Wow! and again Paul astonishes . . . I didn’t really realise he hadn’t posted any Prince so here goes:

Prince - Rock Over Germany, Flugplatz, Luneburg, Germany, 9-3-1993

Paul says: Why oh why have I never posted a Prince album until now?! It's a major oversight, considering he's a musical great with lots of really interesting unreleased material. The main reason was I had heard his legal team came down particularly hard on any copyright issue. But I've been almost entirely free of the copyright police for the past year plus, for whatever reason. So I figure, what the heck, I'll post this and take my chances.

I have to admit that, probably like a majority of Prince's fans, I haven't closely followed his entire career. If you look at the crowd-sourced ratings of the albums he released in his lifetime, all the really highly rated ones are from between 1979 and 1995. So I figure 1993 is a good time for a concert from him, as it can be kind of a greatest hits of his best songs from his most popular and creative era. This is the best sounding concert I found from that year. It's a soundboard. 

At the time of this concert, Prince's most recent album was released in late 1992. It was his second album with his band at the time, the New Power Generation. I wish I could tell you the album name, but the "title" was an unpronounceable symbol. However, it later generally became known as "Love Symbol." (By the end of 1993, Prince claimed this symbol was his new name, due to a dispute he was having with his record company. The media responded by generally calling him "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince." He returned to calling himself "Prince" in 2000, when he finally was able to change record companies.) 

Anyway, Prince didn't release a new studio album in 1993. This was very unusual for him, since he was extremely prolific. However, on September 10, 1993, he released a double album greatest hits collection called "The Hits." If you check the concert date, that was one week after this concert. He played two songs that were first released on that greatest hits: "Pope" and "Peach."

There's just a couple of notes about the songs performed. When you see "When Doves Cry" in the song list, don't get too excited. It's only about ten seconds of the introductory chords before switching to another song. However, he played nearly all of his other big hits he'd had up until that time. A few other songs also are short snippets. 

And "talk by Mayte" is a spoken message entirely in German. I don't know what was said, since I don't speak German. But I do know who Mayte is. She joined his backing band, the New Power Generation, in 1992, when she turned 18 years old. She was born and raised in Germany, which explains her speaking in German to the German audience. She and Prince married in 1996 and stayed married for four years.

The music is unreleased. The sound quality is excellent. 

This album is an hour and 41 minutes long. 

01 My Name Is Prince 
02 Sexy MF - Love 2 the 9's 
03 The Beautiful Ones 
04 Let's Go Crazy 
05 Kiss
06 Irresistible Bitch 
07 She's Always in My Hair 
08 Raspberry Beret 
09 The Cross 
10 Sign O' the Times 
11 Purple Rain 
12 Thunder - When Doves Cry 
13 Nothing Compares 2 U 
14 And God Created Woman [Instrumental] 
15 Diamonds and Pearls 
16 Venus de Milo [Instrumental] 
17 I Love U in Me 
18 Strollin'
19 Scandalous 
20 talk 
21 Girls and Boys 
22 Arabic Intro [Instrumental] 
23 7 
24 talk by Mayte 
25 1999 
26 Baby I'm a Star 
27 Rock the House - America [Instrumental]
28 D.M.S.R.
29 Gett Off 
30 Pope
31 It's Gonna Be a Beautiful Night [Instrumental Version] 
32 Peach 

No comments:

Post a Comment