I Can See You - by Paddy Summerfield c. 1986

Wednesday, August 05, 2026

Glen Hansard Funeral 4th August 2026

 Glen Hansard’s funeral took place yesterday at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin and there were as was expected an enormous crowd of fans friends family and followers. Weeping, singing and a eulogy from his wonderful wife Maire

Mourners included Eddie Vedder, several former members of the Commitments and his band The Frames plus Imelda May, Cait O’Riordan, Damian Dempsey, Liam Ô Manila, Hozier, Lisa Hannigan, Bono, Steve Coogan, Chris O’Dowd and Marketa Irglova ( of course) and Bono played a recording of Patti Smith who sang a lullaby for Glen’s family. It was attended also by the Irish President and the Taoiseach.

“Come to me with beauty, 

I require it to stay alive. 

I'm not talking of precious gifts, 

nor do I want a dolled-up, dutiful 

and well-assessed array of tender words.”


"Hurl the clash of what you've pocketed from this day at my feet, 

and then be brave enough to look me in the eye.  

Push the boundary of two minds til it stretches, 

til there are two bodies in one embrace, 

and a moment of understanding or acceptance, 

or blind faith and a sense of the infinite jump and jibe”


Maire Saaritsa

For her husband Glen Hansard



Christy, Glen and Maire


No comments: