Love this . . . . so moving . . . .
sign off the day with some Martha
We haven’t had any Martha Wainwright for way too long and this will have to make up . . . . . . . her first solo album [+BMFA!] etc blew me right away!
Awesome peerless woman
Now the swan it floated on the English river
Ah, the rose of high romance, it opened wide
A sun tanned woman yearned me through the summer
And the judges watched us from the other side
I told my mother, "Mother, I must leave you
Preserve my room but do not shed a tear
Should rumor of a shabby ending reach you
It was half my fault and half the atmosphere"
But the rose I sickened with a scarlet fever
And the swan I tempted with a sense of shame
She said at last I was her finest lover
And if she withered I would be to blame
The judges said, "You missed it by a fraction
Rise up and brace your troops for the attack"
Ah, the dreamers ride against the men of action
Oh, see the men of action falling back
But I lingered on her thighs, a fatal moment
I kissed her lips as though I thirsted still
My falsity had stung me like a hornet
The poison sank and it paralyzed my willI could not move to warn all the younger soldiersThat they had been deserted from aboveSo on battlefields from here to BarcelonaI'm listed with the enemies of loveAnd long ago she said, "I must be leavingAh, but keep my body here to lie uponYou can move it up and down and when I'm sleepingRun some wire through that rose and wind the swan"So daily I renew my idle dutyI touch her here and there, I know my placeI kiss her open mouth and I praise her beautyAnd people call me traitor to my face
L. Cohen
No comments:
Post a Comment