portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, May 07, 2011

 Crimson flames tied through my ears rollin’ high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads using ideas as my maps.............
The Byrds Holland 1971

There's a lovely Byrds soundboard from Big O this morning.......The Byrds Brooklyn 1970
clearly it belongs over in 'My Back Pages' and that's doubtless where it will end up.........

It's a but choppy in that it has cut offs, jumps and fade ins but none the worse for that as its a lovely set from the boys at their peak and my favourite incarnation of McGuinn, White, Battin & Parsons



Big O say:
Live at the 46th Street Rock Palace, Brooklyn, NY; October 23, 1970. Very good soundboard.
Thanks to davmar for sharing this previously uncirculated soundboard on Dime. davmar wrote:

I noticed some Clarence White-era Byrds earlier and it reminded me of that huge stash of soundboards that came out several years back. To my knowledge, the bulk of these recordings were source by someone close to the group, possible in their employ. I can’t say that for certain though. There were quite a number of shows, just about all from the Clarence period which is just fine with me.
I had the pleasure of seeing them at that time in NYC’s Central Park with Van The Man as support. An amazing concert needless to say! Anyway, it seems not all of the leaked sb’s got around back then so I thought I’d offer one up.
This show took place at the short lived 46th St. Rock Palace in Brooklyn, NYy in the fall of 1970. It was later reopened as Banana Fish Garden which, aside from having concerts, hosted some used for the Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert TV Show. Anyway, I think this will be of much interest as it does not appear to circulate and is supposed to have been sourced from the masters right to cdr so it doesn’t get much better.



Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now

Enjoy! I know I did................

1 comment:

sealy said...

This looks great Swappers. One of the bands I ever saw. If only instead of the Byrds reformed Asylum deal McGuinn had had kept Clarence White and Gene Parsons and just recruited Gene Clark and Chris Hillman. That five piece would have had the musicianship, songwriting and vocal ability to best the best of all Byrds (or maybe anything else too).