portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

 Joe Cocker  1944 - 2014


I have been reading that quite a few people, rightly perhaps, have been bemoaning the fact that in the soliloquy's to Joe Cocker's untimely passing from cancer this week journos are only really mentioning 'With a Little Help From my Friends' and quoting Ringo or Paul McCartney.
I realised this morning that I understand this and have been guilty myself saying what about his Dylan covers and looking at his back catalogue with affection and many many happy memories. ('Dear Landlord' is a personal favourite but then so are 'Feelin' Alright', 'Hitchcock Railway', 'Delta Lady' and 'The Letter' amongst many many others) Yet there is a reason that people keep mentioning this wonderful song and this below may go some way to help explain why. Joe was unique and burst upon the musical psyche of the era like a comet, that strange wonderment of a creature, who, those of us who 'got it', took immediately to our bosoms and loved within seconds of hearing this extraordinary force of nature
Here's why . . . . .
Joe Cocker and The Grease Band

'With a Little Help From My Friends' - "How it Is" 1968

R.I.P. Joe Cocker 1944 - 2014

No comments: