I Can See You - by Paddy Summerfield c. 1986

Sunday, September 20, 2026

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND - My Head Is My Only House Unless it Rains [Clear Spot] / Too Much Time [Clear Spot

 I was sat drinking coffee look at the birds in my garden and thought every bird that goes by gets me high . . . . . . . . where is that from!? As if I didn’t know . . . from perhaps my favourite Captain Beefheart Album ‘Clear Spot’ and the song Too Much Time largely because this was the work performed the last time I saw them . . . . . . 1973? Oxford Polytechnic . . . life changing! 

"Mr Zoot Horn Rollo play that long lunar note , . . . . . and let it float"

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band - Too Much Time (Clear Spot)

Too Much Time

I got a-too much time

Too much time

I got too much time to be without love

Too much time

I got a-too much time

I got too much time

Too much time to be without love


[Verse 1]

In my life, I've got a deep devotion

Wide as the sky and deep as the ocean

Every war that's waged makes me cry

Every bird that goes by gets me high


[Verse 2]

Sometimes when it's late and I'm a little hungry

I heat up some old stale beans

Open up a can of sardines

Eat crackers and dream about somebody to cook for me


[Chorus]

(Too much time) Too much time

(I got too much time) Too much time

(Too much time) Too much time

Too much time to be without love


(songwriter - Don Van Vliet) 1972

N.B most folk slag off the albums Bluejeans and Moonbeams and especially Unconditionally Guaranteed but Clear Spot less so - discuss! It has just as many love songs ( for Jan ) on it but somehow features higher up than the previous two mentioned album

No comments: