I Can See You - by Paddy Summerfield c. 1986

Wednesday, October 07, 2026

Susan Tedeschi profile | Don’s Tunes

 May be an image of guitar and text

Susan Tedeschi: “When I was little, my dad would play me Lightnin’ Hopkins and Mississippi John Hurt, a lot of that country folk-blues kinda vibe. And I liked it, but it wasn’t my main thing. But then when I graduated college, I had some friends running a blues jam and they asked me to come sing.

"So I started diving into the record stores and bought all these records by T-Bone Walker, Big Mama Thornton, Koko Taylor, Johnny ‘Guitar’ Watson. That’s when I started diving into the blues on a massive level. They just really got me hooked.
“And they also got me playing electric guitar: I didn’t really play anything other than acoustic until I started getting into the blues. It was an exciting time. That music was soulful and inspiring, and I was really angry that growing up, we didn’t have that kind of music on the radio.
"But I’ve realised since that what we’re spoon-fed on radio is kinda all the baloney, the weakest of the lot. So you have to search out the really great stuff, the really soulful stuff. People can relate to the blues. It moves them. It can help to heal you. I think the blues can be very beneficial on a medicinal level.”
Interview: Henry Yates ( Classic Rock )
Susan Tedeschi as she poses with her guitar, Chicago, Illinois, September 3, 2000.
(Photo by Paul Natkin)


Tedeschi Trucks Band & Leon Russell – cover Alex Chilton’s Boxtops “The Letter” [Feat. Susan Tedeschi]
Maybe this goes some way to why I prefer Susan to her old fellah!
Plus she plays guitar better ’n’ him too!
Wot? Doesn’t make me a bad person!

No comments: