portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, December 05, 2018

I first heard this song from Marianne Faithfull  and only later did I hear the writers 'cover' it. I certainly didn't get the album as I was twelve and we didn't get the Stones until much later I guess . . . although we did have the first album with 'Route 66' on which I still love to bits but Steve my brother must have stuck to the Beatles if sides were to be taken. Mind you 'Get Off My Cloud' made its impact and seeing them on the telly cover this song certainly affected me profoundly


On this day in music history: December 4, 1965 - “December’s Children (And Everybody’s)”, the fifth album by The Rolling Stones is released. Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham, it is recorded at Regent Sound Studios in London in August 1963, Kingsway Studios in London on June 11, 1964, Manchester Odeon in Manchester, UK and The Liverpool Empire Theater on March 5 - 7, 1965, RCA Victor Studios in Hollywood, CA, Chess Studios in Chicago, IL on September 5 - 6, 1965. The album is a US compilation consisting of new material recorded in September 1965, along with songs first released on the UK version of “Out Of Our Heads” (“She Said Yeah”, “Talkin’ About You”, “I’m Free”, “Gotta Get Away”) and the EP’s “The Rolling Stones” (“You Better Move On”) and “Got Live If You Want It!” (“Route 66”, “I’m Moving On”). It spins off two singles including the recent number one hit “Get Off Of My Cloud” and “As Tears Go By” (#6 Pop), the latter being one of the first songs written by Jagger and Richards. The album is first remastered and reissued on CD in 2002 as a hybrid SACD, which is then discontinued and replaced by a standard redbook CD release. The original mono version of the album is remastered and reissued as part of “The Rolling Stones In Mono” box set on 180 gram vinyl and CD in September of 2016. December’s Children (And Everybody’s)“ peaks at number four on the Billboard Top 200, and is certified Gold in the US by the RIAA.


This was my preferred version and I loved the arrangement and the oboe especially and a lifelong passion for Marianne ensued . . . . . at this age she made me feel funny in the trouser area! She still does!!!!


This above was one of her first television appearances. She stated later that at certain points she had to be filmed seated because her legs were shaking so badly. Secondly, she went to a convent school and said she admired the stillness of many of the nuns who taught her, she found it intriguing and beautiful and used this sort of countenance during many of her early appearances.
Later she could still smash the Stones version out of the park! Check the voice here!


No comments: