portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, December 20, 2018

RORY GALLAGHER

Live at My Father's Place, Long Island'74


We haven't had any Rory for a while. Meant to mention but Big O posted a lovely FM radio broadcast set recorded from Rory Gallagher who we used to worship early on as one of our favourite rock guitarists and my old friend Leo turned us all on to him and 'Taste' but we followed him into the depths too. Boy could PLAY! 
I love the apocryphal story that Rory and Jimi Hendrix were sat in a bar and someone asked Jimi what it was like being the best guitarist in the world to try to get a rise out of them and Jimi is alleged to have said "I don't know you better ask Rory" I doubt it but I like to think it's true . . . . 


[found a better version of the cover here







Track 01. Tattoo’d Lady 7:11
Track 02. Early In The Morning 10:06
Track 03. Cradle Rock 8:17
Track 04. Just A Little Bit 9:24
Track 05. Walk On Hot Coals 9:45
Track 06. A Million Miles Away 7:22
Track 07. Hands Off 7:51
Track 08. Bullfrog Blues 12:49
73 mins

Lineup:
Rory Gallagher - guitar, vocals
Lou Martin - keyboards
Gerry McAvoy - bass
Rod de’Ath - drums


P.S. TURN IT UP Productions 

2 comments:

diamonddave said...

Well, you've hit my nail on the head here! Listening to Rory with a beer - what more do you need?! Saw him first time at Oxford Town Hall, somewhere around 1971. My then girlfriend treated me to it (only cost about 50p - was a fortune at the time). Knew I should have stayed with that girl! Cheers again.

Andy Swapp said...

Pretty sure I was there! A friend was wildly into him and could copy his every lick, well he could copy everyone's licks actually from Beck to Rory to Hendrix but that's another story . . . . . . blew me away and we saw him again later on at a festival somewhere and he was sloppy drunk but could still play like a beast!