portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, January 27, 2020

THE SHOAH

'Lest we forget'

INTERNATIONAL HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL DAY





Films that have moved me about the war and the holocaust in particular


The Island on Bird Street [a favourite]
Sophies Choice
The Pawnbroker - Sydney Lumet
The Night Porter
The Odessa File
Marathon Man
Schindler's List
The Pianist 
The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas


Books on the subject I have read:

Yevgeny Yevtushenko - Babi Yar (poem)
Anatoly Kuznetsov - Babi Yar
Diary of Anne Frank (on whom there has been a film made every decade)
Jerzy Kosinski - The Painted Bird



I highly recommended any of these . . . . . . lest we find history repeating


I grew up with this picture as I believe it was in the Family of Man exhibition catalogue which my grandparents and parents owned


No comments: