portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Local girl (well local-ish Ed) Thea Gilmore is celebrating Bob Dylan's 70th birthday by releasing a cover album of John Wesley Harding.........and gigging to support the fact. Now I really like Thea Gilmore (no relation to either Dave [spelled differently] or Gary......;o) ) and have seen her live in Oxford where she was wonderful and she is a gifted singer with a heart wrenchingly achingly beautiful voice but also a song style and writer of great songs all her own. Here in her message the links to her release of the album (on eBay no less!) and the gig at the Union Chapel.....see you there?



Thea says:
CELEBRATING BOB DYLAN'S 70th... IN LONDON
...WANNA JOIN IN?

"So hey did you know Bob Dylan turns 70 on May 24th...?

Yes that's right the 'three score years and ten' moment has arrived for Mr Zimmerman, AKA the Bard of Hibbing, AKA the man who inspired generations of folk like me that the way forward was with a six string acoustic and about five chords.

Oh yes and arguably the greatest songwriter ever.

Now I don't know about you but I'm rubbish at remembering to send cards... but still it seemed churlish to ignore the occasional altogether SO I've done two things

(1) I've taken this opportunity to record my own tribute to the man and the occasion, specifically I've re-recorded "John Wesley Harding" Bob's classic 1968 album. It's full of songs I connect with, some of which I've been singing live for years, so I bit the bullet and in a merry week in the studio cut the whole bloomin' lot. It's out on Fullfill Records on, you guessed it, week of May 24th. BUT You have a chance to get the album nearly 3 weeks early on my labels sneaky Ebay page: GO HERE to order your copy.

(2) I've decided to play Union Chapel, London on the night of May 24th, I'm gonna hold my own personal birthday party for Bob, I'm going to perform the whole album live, (plus no doubt a few more well chosen bits and Bobs... and maybe even some of my own stuff, you never know!)
I'm inviting some musical friends down to join me, and I'm gonna be backed by the band who played on the record, including stellar guitarist Robbie McIntosh (ex Pretenders, Paul McCartney, Norah Jones).

Wanna come? Tickets are now on sale HERE!!! and this is going to be an extremely special night, a musical birthday celebration like no other. (Cake and candles I'm still working on)

'Salute him when his birthday comes'. As someone once (almost) said.

See you there?

Thea xx



Need to add a link to my 'virtual' pal Dan's weblog as he found the Dylan gig from Beijing and it's a great one - check it out here........'Haven'
Bob in Beijing 6-4-2011

He has three video links too! THANKS DAN!

3 comments:

sealy said...

This looks very interesting. I bought a couple of Thea's a while back but haven't listened to her for a while.
And...it took me a long time to realise just how great JWH is....
I think I'll get on over to EBay....be a first for me.
Thank you for the heads up my man

sealy said...

Wow. A long time since I paid £16.24p for a new record. Still I know where you live Swappers :-)

sealy said...

Thanks again Mr.S...this is a very fine record indeed in a lovely boxed package