portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, December 15, 2012

R.I.P  Ed Cassidy

On December 6, 2012, (drummer) Ed Cassidy, one of the founding members of Spirit, died of cancer in San Jose, CA at the age of 89. And with his passing, the group has formally entered the history books. Randy California had drowned in 1997. California had legally acquired the band name Spirit in 1974 and he and stepfather Cassidy had stuck together till his death. Drummer for The Rising Sons with Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder his roots were in Jazz and had played in bands all over until he split to form Spirit

I grew up on the 'Rock Machine Turns You On' compilations and it had Spirit and Moby Grape on and the songs  'Fresh Garbage' and 'I Gotta Line On You' were amongst my favourites in my youth!
Weirdly somehow they played the basement of a local pub the Penny Farthing near to MOMAO when I worked there years ago now and we went across and enjoyed the set....it being great if extremely odd, to see them all still going........

I Got a Line on You......................... Big O has a set here SPIRIT- Cooper River Park Be-In, Camden NJ 1990

Check the drumming on these two versions........ Fresh Garbage from 1984
Can ya dig it? I think you can........... Purists like me want the original? Oh Ok then.........takes me right back flashback! I loved him cos anyone with the name Cassidy was cool and I always assumed that he was a relative of Neil and Jack.....and in a way he was......Rest In Peace Ed

2 comments:

sealy said...

Nice tribute. Rock Machine indeed...."Fresh Garbage"...still totally fresh today.

Bruce said...

Hi there Swapper old buddy.
It's Bruce if you might remember me from a few years ago. Anyway, just found your site in my long list of saved faves. Spirit was a great band. I saw them twice, the last time in Ft Lauderdale, FL back in mid 90's. Randy was still alive, and of course Ed. They both signed my CD's and ticket! Sad RIP Ed +
Have a blessed new year,
Bruce