portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Winona 


Winona Ryder
Photo courtesy of Magnolia Pictures

You know what they say about men ageing and getting better looking and this doesn't happen with women? There are always the exceptions that prove the rule ( I have a list!) and Winona Ryder is proof of this. Interestingly I found this quote over at Blackbook (see above for link to interview etc and the picture is wonderful.  If it needs more of a credit please let me know. . .
There was a time, because I had a lot success when I was in my teens and 20s and then I went through this period where I looked too young but I actually wasn’t too young, that people still associated me with these younger, waifish ingenue characters even though I could have been a lawyer or something else. I feel like only recently I’ve hit a point where I’m actually old enough to play my age, which is a tremendous relief. I know there’s so much put on youth these days, but I had a weird experience because when I started acting all of my heros were like Ruth Gordon and Gena Rowlands and I always got along with older people. My mom was a hospice worker and I used to go with her, before I was an actress, and I remember saying, “Oh my gosh each one of them there could be a movie about their life.” But there is something very liberating about getting past that weird 30s thing. I’m turning 44 this month and I just feel like I’m finally being offered, or able to play, parts my age.

No comments: