portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Donovan - Catch The Wind

2,634 plays
swappers:
For me to love you now
Would be the sweetest thing, it would make me sing
Ah, but I may as well try and catch the wind

Now here's another classic and Donovan meant a great deal to me growing up. I bought the first album out on Marble Arch and it was a part of my burgeoning teenage angst and all. He was, if you like, our own Dylan but that was largely a rivalry stirred by the media. They got on when they met and despite what was evidenced in the Pennebaker classic film of Bob's joking about the matter in 'Don't Look Back' showing his awareness of the rivalry he would have been totally amused by such blatant commercial invention and I think you can see it. Donovan could finger pick, play the harmonica and he was aware of the protest movement (The Little Tin Soldier) rather as the Donovan website maintains both were fans of the same sources and the same cultural emerging global events
Donovan was oddly compared to Bob Dylan when it was Woody Guthrie that both Donovan and Dylan emulated at the time. The true similarity between them is that they are Poets of the highest Order.
 I bought the first three albums but curiously he left me around the time of Sunshine Superman which I found forced and a tad hokey if you get my drift. Not quite the real deal somehow but I did buy my brother, Steve, Gift From a Flower to a Garden box set and there we left it. This however is a love song like no other and I still like it

No comments: