portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, May 06, 2019

ON THIS DAY IN MUSIC

1965 - The Rolling Stones
In their Clearwater, Florida hotel room, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards worked out the opening guitar riff of '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' following Richard's purchase of a Gibson fuzz-box earlier that day. The song is considered to be one of the all-time greatest rock songs ever recorded. In 2004 Rolling Stone magazine placed 'Satisfaction' in the second spot on its list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.


1966 - The Beatles
Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles recorded overdubs on 'I'm Only Sleeping' and worked on various mixes of the track. The song features the then-unique sound of a reversed guitar duet played by Harrison who perfected the part with the tape running backwards so that, when reversed, it would fit the dreamlike mood.
2002 - Queen
'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen was voted the UK's favourite single of all time in a poll by the Guinness Hit Singles book. 'Imagine' by John Lennon was voted in at No.2 and 'Hey Jude', The Beatles No.3, 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA was fourth and Madonna 'Like A Prayer' was in fifth place. You don't find me posting much Queen. I didn't (don't) really like them that much and found them silly, histrionic, camp and over the top but this video is history in the music vaults of anyone. Freddie I liked, Brian I like and in fact I like the individual members of the band but their music left me cold . . . . . . . this changed however after Mick Myers rekindled it in 'Wayne's World' which I adored and pretty much everything he has done so that the legendary clip in the car of them head banging to this made me sit upright and pay attention again
"I still believe that at any time the no-talent police will come and arrest me." M Myers



2004 - The Beatles
A sale at Christie's in London, England became the most successful pop auction in the company's history after Beatles memorabilia sold for a record £788,643. The auction included a leather collar worn by John Lennon which sold for £117,250. A signed copy of a management deal with The Beatles and manager Brian Epstein sold for £122,850. A Vox Kensington guitar used by Lennon and Harrison went for £100,000. Also sold - a coloured felt-pen drawing by Lennon (£10,000), a letter with his signature (£5,500), and a pen-and-ink drawing called Happy Fish (£9,500).

Listen to the bass and guitar especially on this, indeed the whole arrangement and tell me you don't appreciate the Beatles. Extraordinary piece of Pop music history and a favourite single that completely blew me away when it came out

No comments: