portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

MOUNT EVEREST

 & THE DEATH ZONE

More people have died climbing (or more correctly queuing) on Mt Everest in the past few weeks than during all of last year (11 and rising) but the toll just keeps on rising and the slopes of the mountain are covered in the remains of some several hundred people who have perished over the years trying to master the highest mountain in the world. 

This is partly due to the existence of the 'death zone' so called because above that height you cannot breath and require oxygen. Now this apparently varies around the globe but on Everest is about 8,000 metres (26,247 feet) and where you simply cannot breathe and should switch to oxygen tanks. If you don't, then merely standing there above that height, you will die! My senses inform me that anything requiring apparatus is a non-starter. Don't even bother. At that height helicopters cannot rescue you, it is too high for them. This should give you a clue! 

For me anything that possesses a feature called a 'death zone' ought to be a bit of a giveaway and causes me to stay right here. Now don't get me wrong I like the countryside and and indeed have climbed up Snowdon (well it's a walk really and very pleasant it was too) several times. It's 1,085 metres (3,560 ft) and the Llanberis Pass is easy for youngsters but takes about 5-7 hours dependent upon your age and fitness and is about a nine mile walk. I have walked up Cadair Idris (893 m (2,930 ft) which I enjoyed several times over the years too but then things started to get more difficult and I started to think you know what? I think I'll stay down here in the pub!

As I have said many many times before, I went to college with folk who liked climbing mountains and rock faces, cliffs etc and when I asked them why they always said the famous line "Because it's there!" to which my retort was always 'Well, so is my armchair and my television!"






No comments: