portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Friday, July 03, 2020


Announces New Album

Bought this only this morning! Advance orders from Bandcamp where else!????



A Dark Murmuration of Words by Emily Barker
Emily says:
HelloI hope you're safe and well.Despite everything else that's going on in the world that is truly more worthy of our time and attention at the moment, it's finally time for me to be able to let you know - exclusively, ahead of the public announcement next week - that my new album is complete and will be officially released on 4th September.The album is called A Dark Murmuration of Words and I'd love to tell you a little about it.I've spent a not-insignificant amount of time over the last few years searching, reading, learning and thinking, looking into the gaps of the unspoken, the invisible, and the unacknowledged in an attempt to establish where my own sense of reality takes shape. It's a journey that has lead to the record that I'm so excited to share with you.The songs on the album are an exploration of climate change, racism, sexism, and myths of economic progress through the lens of my constant questioning of what it means - for me - to feel at “home.” I found myself searching for connections between these themes and how they shape the rapidly shifting modern world we live in. Finding meaning becomes challenging with the deafening clamour of social media in this age of fake news and algorithmically filtered conversations, but it feels important to try. When I stood back and looked at these songs altogether, patterns emerged - what had at first seemed like a disparate set of songs were all part of the same story.The American writer Emily Dickinson once said that “If you take care of the small things, the big things take care of themselves” - like the starlings in a murmuration, where the movement of each individual bird is related to just seven of its closest neighbours, none of them aware of the mesmerising, fluctuating shapes being created by the flock.This album is my way of reaching out; to start a conversation that might form a small part of the larger pattern of a better future; a future we can all play an equal part in.
A Dark Murmuration of Words by Emily Barker
The album will be available on limited edition white vinyl, black vinyl and on CD in two different packages: a gatefold card sleeve with 12-page lyric booklet and a hardbound book case with 24-pages with lyrics, credits and my notes on each song.Plus, all pre-orders come with an exclusive signed print.

2 comments:

Jobe said...

Hey looks like you might be online as I write this...So go to the Boot and let me know if you have this P.S. just waiting on Mega to finish uploading

Andy Swapp said...

Done downloaded and done! Thanks Jobe and even posted links to the Radio Sessions here already! It's a fan club! Ha ha ha . . . keep up the great work and stay safe