portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, July 25, 2021

NAT MYERS! - New Album - 'Hobo Wine & Remedy Blues'

 NEW DISCOVERY OF THE YEAR

I found this young man and discovered him playing his blues on a Leon Redbone facebook group (sic) the style is unique and plain lovely, the age seems indeterminate but young, young YOUNG and the voice sounds like the stylistic workings of an old blues man several hundred years old. I think he must be the reincarnation of Blind Wille McTell! He sum ole soul . . . . . . 

"WILLOW WITCHIN'!"

This is the blues!

His page says:

It’s hard to track down Nat Myers. He’s one of those young solitaires you hear before you see. Here’s what the books know: he was named after his great-grandfather, an Indiana dairy farmer. His father, a revenue man, served in South Korea. His mother is from Pusan, a factory worker since she was thirteen. They met, and married, then moved to Kentucky, where the solitaire was raised.

He calls himself an entertainer, but that’s like a dog calling itself a flea. As a performer, he emits, but doesn’t distill, his secrets. He’s self-taught, and it probably shows. His style’s homemade, unplugged. From the start he was drawn to the falsely believed to be forgotten styles. He found those who knew it, busking as a street performer before working into traditional venues.

His biggest gift perhaps is not feigning some bigger picture, or abiding scholarly abstractions or pedantic classifications. He doesn’t play for purists, his music, like him, is half-breed. He plays to the living as well as the dead, tapping the tradition passed down by those who tell him he has right to make something from it. He brings a new relevance to a rage of music that gets dusty before the old folks.


-Petunia Burch


Nat Myers page . . . . .


WILLOW WITCHIN' 

My darlin got the rod, I got the pick ~ 
Tell me where darling, I'm gonna dig dig dig ~ 
Tell me honey, where to dig my well ~ 
My water diviner honey sure does cure dry spell ~ 

When the new dustbowl come boogie-in in 
My baby gonna make a livin divinin ~ 
Tell me honey, where to dig my well ~ 
My water diviner honey sure does cure dry spell ~ 

When you got no watering hole 
My baby bring it gushin clean & cold ~ 
Tell me honey, where to dig my well ~ 
My water diviner honey sure do cure dry spell ~ 

Well & she willow witchin since the day she born ~ 
First doodlebuggin back at home ~ 
Tell me honey, where to dig my well ~ 
My water diviner honey sure does cure dry spell ~
  

credits

releases July 31, 2021 

Photo Credit: Ari & Zoe Elefterin 

“The folk-blues troubadour wasn't made for these times. But I'm glad he's here.”

Tinnitist

Nat Myers - YouTube

BUY HIS PLATES HERE!
 Boy only askin' three dollar!!!
 




2 comments:

Jobe said...

Wow!!! Thanks gonna check out more of this guy

Andy Swapp said...

He is really COOL! Jobe I love his sound and writing style and there are a few albums on Bandcamp that are very (almost too!) affordable. He has his own kinda gumbo fo'shure!