The photographer behind Dylan’s Rough And Rowdy Ways album cover, Ian Berry, died earlier this month at the age of 92 (September 13, 2026)When Ian received an email asking for permission to use the image, he was flattered. “I was delighted,” he says. “A record cover for Dylan is a great compliment.”Berry took the photo in 1964 at a small underground club in Whitechapel, East London, while working for the Observer on a story about Black culture in Britain.The photo shows a well-dressed couple dancing, while a man behind them looks at a jukebox.“I was working quickly, and in very poor light, shooting away with a 35-millimeter camera,” he says. “I knew at some point I’d have to leave because I hadn’t asked permission to be there.”Ian Berry: Underground nightclub principally for black people in Cable Street, East London. Great Britain, 1964
(Source: Rolling Stone Magazine, 2020)
No comments:
Post a Comment