portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

COUNTRY JOE!

Joseph Allen “Country Joe” McDonald - acoustic guitar, harmonica, kazoo, vocals

Crikey! Thus we are continuing the blasts from the past that dates me irrevocably, Jimi, The Doors and The Who on the Smothers Brothers show - crikey even the Faces dates from 71!!
Now a beauty from Big O this morning of an old hero, Country Joe McDonald of 'Country Joe and The Fish' live in Holland on his own. Why you can smell the heady atmosphere from here!

When I went to college in Leicester in the early seventies one of the first things I recall was  a showing of Henry Miller's classic book turned film 'Quiet Days in Clichy' and note that was an introduction to another hero, Miller then became an obsession for a while and I read all the major novels but the soundtrack from that film also stuck with me too. Country Joe and The Fish was introduced to me by my old pal Alan Bateman who had a passion for all things West Coast and I bought the first two albums when they came out over here and loved them. The Fish Cheer and Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag was one of the first things I learned to play by heart and I could probably sing the whole song right through even now (not difficult -ED!) but this quality recording from the era is a treat and if the joke side of Joe is too off putting for some try the 'Sad and Lonely Times' a favourite song here of Joe's and solo it is still a lovely heartfelt love song without equal IMHO.

Can you dig it mahn? I think you can . . . . . . . . . 

Country Joe solo - Rotterdam 1971





Gimme an 'F' . . . . . . 


Track 06. Sad And Lonely Times 4:35

No comments: