portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, November 06, 2018

MIGHTY SPARROW

Slinger Francisco ORTT CMT OBE (July 9, 1935)

A fascinating article at the extraordinarily eclectic Aquarium Drunkard the other day on the Trinidadian legend the Mighty Sparrow. Now my closest friends that I grew up with, their father was from Trinidad and Mighty Sparrow amongst others was always playing when I went around to their house so it seeped into my consciousness from about the age of 11 along with Calypso, Reggae and Mento music. Aquarium Drunkard brings us right up to speed with an article on his political views and is especially relevant today
Bob Dylan was a fan which I didn't know but his knowledge of music is without equal so I am hardly surprised as his wonderful radio broadcast showed in Theme Time Radio Hour whilst I get that he will have had researchers it showed an encyclopaedic taste 




No comments: