portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, February 05, 2019

RY COODER

One of my favourite Ry Cooder songs and my favourite written by him *. . . . . . sound advice too!

For me the lesson learned is never let anyone "put you up a tree!"





UPDATE

*as has been pointed out on the Facebook page I am wrong to say it was written by Ry. It is a song by Washington Phillips, he of 'Denomination Blues' fame, covered also by Ry. The track 'Tattler' is based on Phillips' dirge like original song 'You Can't Stop a Tattler' a cautionary tale about Tattle Tales for sure. Now the album 'Paradise and Lunch' cites 'Phillips, Cooder and Titleman' and it is my guess they were allowed to do this as whilst Ry borrows or uses three or four verses, the arrangement fortunately (sic) is totally different . . . . . . 

Check the originals here






Now Phillips' Denomination Blues' is worth a mention here too as I LOVE that song too and it makes me laugh out loud . . . . but the similarity is closer that the work done on Tattler . . . . . . 






LIVE!
Check THIS
[the slide playing I dedicate to Diamond Dave a frequent visitor!![

This song is as close as an atheist get's to heaven!

2 comments:

diamonddave said...

Now of all the slide players you mention on TBNR, and I ain't disagreeing with good ol' Ry or Trucks etc, but there ain't no talk of (the late, great) Lowell George. Seriously!! His playing on 'Feets don't fail me' is truly wonderful.
Whilst talking of great slide: I don't know if you frequent this place, but I saw her and thought of you - as I know you have a 'slight hankering' for her!!! - a couple of boots here:
http://theultimatebootlegexperience7.blogspot.com/

BTW keep up the good work, and keep on rockin in the free world...........

Andy Swapp said...

Mercy! thanks for the link. I hadn't seen this Dave or misplaced it for I thought I had links to T.U.B.E. and the Bonnie Raitt stuff is magical! Am downloading the London set now.
As for Lowell I have a problem. I don't quite get why but you know sometimes we have a blind spot about someone? Well Lowell is mine. I enjoyed Little Feat but he was dead of self indulgence before I could really get into them. I have albums (early) and singles even but somehow he doesn't MOVE me like Ryland or Bonnie. Sorry it is just personal taste I guess but I DO get that I leave him out unnecessarily.
P.S. think so much for dropping by I had no idea anyone was paying attention so your comments and links are most welcome.
Keep on Truckin'!