portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, April 07, 2019

KEITH JARRETT


Now I adored Keith Jarrett as an art student and was turned on to him by the master photographer Tom Wood, who was my peer in the art department at Leicester Poly (now De Montfort University) way back in the mid-seventies

Big O has posted two sets on ROIO over the past two days from 1974 and they are both worth checking out

Keith Jarrett - Jazz Workshop Boston - The American Quartet 1974



The 38 minute  'The Rich and The Poor/ Death and The Flower' is extraordinary and yet somehow the following two numbers leave me a tad cold. I found them more 'traditional' in the sense of no surprises and rather predictable . . . . . it is after all Jarrett's piano work that grabs me! The American Quartet whilst the more famous in Hayden, Motion and Redman sounds rather dated to these ears now.

Keith Jarrett - The European Quartet - Hannover 1974




Again some astonishing moments in this and whilst I could do without the Garbarek it is a fine fine recording


No comments: