portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, June 02, 2019

ROKY ERICKSON

and Okkervil River

AQUARIUM DRUNKARD




I was never a fan of Roky Erickson and I won't pretend otherwise now he has died from so far unannounced causes at 71. A life long proponent of LSD, Erickson suffered long periods of difficult mental health issues, he was married twice and had three children at times many of whom he was estranged from at times and he was forced to spend several years in mental institutions where he was victim of countless ECTs. 

Although the 13th Floor Elevators' 'You're Gonna Miss Me' is a classic pre-punk early psychedelia one hit wonder for me I didn't follow it up but the mercurial and electric Aquarium Drunkard has posted a really interesting article involving a band I do like, Okkervil River, both from Texas. Largely I think my not being much of a fan is due to Roky's inability to travel across the pond albeit culturally except for the inner psychedelic cognoscenti. Until now . . . . .  














No comments: