portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, April 07, 2024

Jimi Hendrix from a Rolling Stone interview | Guitar influences!


Photo: Tony Gale

Jimi Hendrix: I started playing the guitar about 6 or 7, maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I was influenced by everything at the same time, that’s why I can’t get it together now. Like I used to like Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran and Muddy Waters and Elvin James. See a mixture of those things and hearing those things at the same time, which way do you go . . . B. B. King and so forth.


“The first guitarist I was aware of was Muddy Waters. I heard one of his old records when I was a little boy and it scared me to death, because I heard all of those sounds. Wow, what is that all about? It was great. And I like Albert King. He plays completely and strictly in one way, just straight funk blues. New blues guitar, very young, funky sound which is great. One of the funkiest I’ve heard. He plays it strictly that way so that’s his scene.”


“Steve Cropper turned me on millions of years ago and I turned him on millions of years ago too, but because of different songs. Like we went into the studio and we started teaching each other. I found him at the soul restaurant eating all this stuff right across from the studio in Memphis. I was playing on this Top 40 R&B Soul Hit Parade package with the patent leather shoes and hairdo combined. So anyway I got into the studio and said, ‘Hey man, dig, I heard you’re all right; that anyone can come down here if they’ve got a song’ so we went into the studio and did a song and after that it was just with guitar and he was messing around with the enginering and it’s just a demo acetate. I don’t know where it’s at now. After we did that we messed around the studio for 4 or 5 hours doing different little things, it was very strange. He turned me on to a lot of things. He showed me how he played certain songs and I showed him how I played ‘Mercy, Mercy’ or something like that, then I showed him.


- Rolling Stone 


young Jimi and one of very first guitars - a Danelectro of course


Hey Joe live


No comments: