portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, April 07, 2024

Mazzy Star - Halah + Bells Ring, Live VIDEO, TV, London 1994 (2 Songs)

 Someone posted this in my Facebook links. . . . . . (sorry if you were not noted) early Hope and David singing two songs as a duo Mazzy Star


the YouTube poster says:
From 1990s British TV show 'The Beat' w. Gary Cowley. It was shot on the EMI record company rooftop, London, in 1994, with a downsized Mazzy Star with Hope Sandoval & David Roback as a duo. The TV host, Gary Cowley, is a Britsh broadcaster, TV presenter and DJ. His 1990s show The Beat aired on ITV's Carlton TV.

They continue: 

01 Halah - starts at 0.02 02 Bells Ring 3:20 The TV host speaks over the beginning of Halah. His voice ends at 0.17 or 0.18 if you want to avoid hearing his intrusive intro. But to hear the whole of the song Halah, we have to put up with hearing Gary talk over the beginning. Many Mazzy Star fans who use youtube will already be familiar with youtube video uploads of these same two song recordings upped by other youtubers. My own upload version here of the two songs from the TV show I spliced together from three different video sources. What prompted me to assemble it was video versions of the Halah recording currently findable on yt were all missing the TV host's, Gary Cowley's, intro, and were missing the beginning of the song. I thought I'd make a new upload with the intro and beginning of Halah restored 'cause I had a clip of Halah with the intro on my computer. Plus, I wanted to join both songs from the broadcast together. In the original TV show, the TV broadcast reportedly abruptly and loudly interrupted and ended Bells Ring early. I've not ever seen the abrupt, loud ending. The uploads I've seen of the song have the interruption/abrupt ending edited out. In the video version of Bells Ring I used here, the original uploader did a fade-out of the last few seconds, as you'll see here. My three video sources for this upload are: 1) TV host's intro + beginning of Halah - [from my own files, original yt uploader unknown] 2) The rest of the video for Halah - From youtuber badtracking 3) Bells Ring - From youtuber George Cosimo I reduced the constant hiss that was on both song videos to some extent, and made some some EQ adjustments/improvements to audio of both, and boosted Halah's low volume, using Audacity audio software. Plus, I removed the continuous moving red bubbles display that uploader (George Cosimo) of the Bells Ring video version I used, puzzlingly added to the blank portions of his video to the left and right of the image. Instead of enhancing the video, the moving red bubbles, imo, were an irritating distraction that worsened the video. I restored the blank spaces to the left and right of Bells Ring to default plain black. A duo like this with Hope singing, accompanied by an acoustic guitarist, is how Hope first started out in music. Hope and her friend Sylvia Gomez (writer of the Mazzy song "Give You My Lovin'") formed a duo like this in the early the 1980s when both were in high school.They wrote songs together, played some live shows in the L.A. area in the mid-'80s, and recorded a 7-song studio demo with David Roback producing (never released, but findable on yt).

No comments: