portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, February 21, 2018


BIOGRAPH

Just because . . . . . . Biograph contains some of my favourite versions of Bob's songs and yes I did manage to buy this when it came out



  • Abandoned Love
  • Bob Dylan
  • Biograph



















I can see the turning of the key
I've been deceived by the clown inside of me
I thought that he was righteous but he's vain
Oh, something's a-telling me I wear the ball and chain
My patron saint is a-fighting with a ghost
He's always off somewhere when I need him most
The Spanish moon is rising on the hill
But my heart is a-tellin' me I love you still
I come back to the town from the flaming moon
I see you in the streets, I begin to swoon
I love to see you dress before the mirror
Won't you let me in your room one time before I finally disappear?
Everybody's wearing a disguise
To hide what they've got left behind their eyes
But me, I can't cover what I am
Wherever the children go I'll follow them
I march in the parade of liberty
But as long as I love you I'm not free
How long must I suffer such abuse?
Won't you let me see your smile before I turn you loose?
I've given up the game, I've got to leave
The pot of gold is only make-believe
The treasure can't be found by men who search
Whose gods are dead and whose queens are in the church
We sat in an empty theater and we kissed
I asked ya please to cross me off your list
My head tells me it's time to make a change
But my heart is telling me I love ya but you're strange
So one more time at midnight, near the wall
Take off your heavy make-up and your shawl
Won't you descend from the throne, from where you sit?
Let me feel your love one more time before I abandon it

Songwriters: Bob Dylan
Abandoned Love lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
Now tell me he's not a poet . . . . . . . . . .


  • Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window
  • Bob Dylan
  • Biograph 



















He sits in your room, his tomb with a fist full of tacks
Preoccupied with his vengeance
Cursin' the dead that can't answer him back
You know that he has no intentions
Of looking your way, unless it's to say
That he needs you to test his inventions
Hey, come crawl out your window
Use your hands and legs it won't ruin you
How can you say he will haunt you?
You can go back to him any time you want to
He looks so truthful, is this how he feels?
Trying to peel the moon and expose it
With his business-like anger and bloodhounds that kneel
If he needs a third eye he just grows it
He just needs you to talk or to hand him his chalk
Or pick it up after he throws it
Hey, please crawl out your window
Oh, use your hands and legs it won't ruin you
How can you say he will haunt you?
You can go back to him any time you want to
He looks so righteous while your face is so changed
As you sit on the box you keep him in
While his genocide fools and friends rearrange
Their religion of the little ten women
That backs up their views but your face is so bruised
Come on out the dark is just beginning
Hey, please come out your window
Oh, use your hands and legs it won't ruin you
How can you say he will haunt you?
When you can go back to him any time that you want to
You've got a lot of nerve to say you are my friend
If you won't come out your window
Yes, come out your window

Songwriters: B. Dylan
Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window? lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC


  • You're A Big Girl Now
  • Bob Dylan
  • Biograph

Our conversation was short and sweet
It nearly swept me off my feet
And I'm back in the rain, oh
And you are on dry land
You made it there somehow
You're a big girl now
Bird on the horizon, sittin' on a fence
He's singin' his song for me at his own expense
And I'm just like that bird, oh
Singin' just for you
I hope that you can hear
Hear me singin' through these tears
Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast
Oh, but what a shame if all we've shared can't last
I can change, I swear, oh
See what you can do
I can make it through
You can make it too
Love is so simple, to quote a phrase
You've known it all the time, I'm learnin' it these days
Oh, I know where I can find you, oh
In somebody's room
It's a price I have to pay
You're a big girl all the way
A change in the weather is known to be extreme
But what's the sense of changing horses in midstream?
I'm going out of my mind, oh
With a pain that stops and starts
Like a corkscrew to my heart
Ever since we've been apart

Songwriters: Bob Dylan
You're A Big Girl Now lyrics © Bob Dylan Music Co.


  • Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine
  • Bob Dylan
  • Biograph
















You say you love me
 And you’re thinkin’ of me
 But you know you could be wrong
 You say you told me
 That you wanna hold me
 But you know you’re not that strong
 I just can’t do what I done before
 I just can’t beg you anymore
 I’m gonna let you pass
 And I’ll go last
 Then time will tell just who fell
 And who’s been left behind
 When you go your way and I go mine

 You say you disturb me
 And you don’t deserve me
 But you know sometimes you lie
 You say you’re shakin’
 And you’re always achin’
 But you know how hard you try
 Sometimes it gets so hard to care
 It can’t be this way ev’rywhere
 And I’m gonna let you pass
 Yes, and I’ll go last
 Then time will tell just who fell
 And who’s been left behind
 When you go your way and I go mine

 The judge, he holds a grudge
 He’s gonna call on you
 But he’s badly built
 And he walks on stilts
 Watch out he don’t fall on you

 You say you’re sorry
 For tellin’ stories
 That you know I believe are true
 You say ya got some
 Other kinda lover
 And yes, I believe you do
 You say my kisses are not like his
 But this time I’m not gonna tell you why that is
 I’m just gonna let you pass
 Yes, and I’ll go last
 Then time will tell who fell
 And who’s been left behind
 When you go your way and I go mine

Copyright © 1966 by Dwarf Music; renewed 1994 by Dwarf Music

No comments: