portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, September 01, 2019

From today's DAVID BYRNE NEWSLETTER


DB RADIO PRESENTS: MASTERS OF SOUNDTRACKS - NINO ROTA







I'm thinking of doing a series of playlists focusing on the great soundtrack composers- both current and classic. Thought I’d start with one of my favorites - Nino Rota.


Best known for the scores he did for the Fellini movies- from the ethereal glass harmonica in Casanova to the circus surrealism of 8 ½.


Somehow his scores function like the audio equivalent of the images- reality slightly tweaked, forcing us to perceive the ordinary through new eyes (and ears). There’s usually nothing self consciously weird or bizarre...if anything, they’re slightly romantic and sentimental- surrealism with heart. The melodies he wrote stand by themselves- they don’t simply punch up the action nor are they dictated by it- they run parallel.

-DB

I always look forward to receiving David's newsletter. He always writes so well and this description of Nino Rota's work is spot on. He also always makes me think and throws me a curved ball in that you never quite know what he is going to talk about next. I like that!

No comments: