portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, June 27, 2020

JAMES McMURTRY

St. Mary Of The Woods 

FLOPPY BOOT STOMP



James McMurtry -St Mary Of The Woods 2002 (Out of Print) Floppy Boot Stomp oh yas oh yas


Again the guys at Floppy Boot Stomp (well this morning it's Silent Way! When isn't it? ED Now now there's a few of those guys posting fine fine music!) have posted a real absolute doozie and quite why or how any label would let 'St Mary of The Woods' go out of print is totally beyond me but I know and you know I don't normally post links to albums that have been officially released but James McMurtry is a case in point and needs mo' listenin'!  Here's a deal with the label, you re-issue it and I will take this down!

Bob Dylan, Dave Alvin, Bruce Springsteen, Joe Ely, Robbie Robertson, Steve Earle, Lou Reed. Are you with me? James McMurtry's musical world resides in a dimension inhabited by those aforementioned artists. His literate, heartland rock was first championed by John Mellancamp and now almost 15 years later James is revered by legions more. He finds a good lazy groove and he tells a damn fine story. That's his modus operandi and he's mastered it. 
"Not since John Prine made his debut in 1971 has a musical voice from the heartland offered such biting images of ordinary Americans living and dying in places far from the bright lights of the big city" - New York Times.











We love the work of Mr McMurtry and if you feel like you have heard his songs before you either have or are tapped into the 'universal' . . . . . . . song writing wonderment!

Enjoy! I know sure as eggs is eggs I serpently did!

1 comment:

dugg said...

The first time I heard Mr. McMurtry it was a song online called "We Can't Make It Here Anymore". I've been a devoted listener ever since - part of which involved making all my friends listen to "Rachel's Song" and "Choctaw Bingo" and others I'm sure you know because he was the best new-to-me songwriter I'd heard in a long time.
He still is... here's hoping one day the chance might come to hear him live some place I can get to...
Thanks for the chance to hear this new-to-me collection,
d