portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, June 22, 2020

VALI MYERS


Vali was a flamboyant artist who divided her life between her adopted home of Melbourne, the Hotel Chelsea in NY, and a 14th century cottage in her valley near Il Porto, Italy. She was acquainted with Tennessee Williams, Salvador Dali, Django Reinhardt, Jean Cocteau and Jean Genet , among many others. Vali died in Melbourne in 2003 after a short battle with cancer at the age of 72.

Opium - Vali Myers






Vali Myers on life and death: 
“I’ve had 72 absolutely flaming years. It (the illness) doesn’t bother me at all, because, you know love, when you’ve lived like I have, you’ve done it all. I put all my effort into living; any dope can drop dead. I’m in the hospital now, and I guess I’ll kick the bucket here. Every beetle does it, every bird, everybody. You come into the world and then you go.”







"The end is never worth the beginning" Vali Myers


No comments: