portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, December 08, 2021

Song of The Day (night) - Good night all . . . .


'Two Of Us' The Beatles

one of the best songs ever written . . . . . . . . . . IMHO

Nice notes from Beatles Bible.com

The opening song on The Beatles’ final album, ‘Two Of Us’ was written by Paul McCartney about his fondness for getting deliberately lost in the country with his future wife Linda

McCartney and John Lennon shared the same microphone to sing the song, as captured in the Let It Be film. Indeed, the middle sections contain likely references to their relationship, with both acutely aware that their time as members of The Beatles was drawing to a close.

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead
‘Two Of Us’ is also thought to contain a reference to The Beatles’ business troubles with Apple, in the line “You and me chasing paper, getting nowhere”. The song displays the relief felt by McCartney at being able to leave these troubles behind and enjoy uncomplicated moments with Linda.
As a kid I loved getting lost. I would say to my father – let’s get lost. But you could never seem to be able to get really lost. All signs would eventually lead back to New York or wherever we were staying! Then, when I moved to England to be with Paul, we would put Martha in the back of the car and drive out of London. As soon as we were on the open road I’d say, ‘Let’s get lost’ and we’d keep driving without looking at any signs. Hence the line in the song, ‘Two of us going nowhere’.

Paul wrote ‘Two Of Us’ on one of those days out. It’s about us. We just pulled off in a wood somewhere and parked the car. I went off walking while Paul sat in the car and started writing. He also mentions the postcards because we used to send a lot of postcards to each other.

Linda McCartney
A Hard Day’s Write, Steve Turner

In the studio

The Beatles recorded ‘Two Of Us’ properly over three sessions, although it was played less seriously on a number of other dates. The first of the sessions took place on 24 January 1969, under the working title ‘On Our Way Home’.

The group recorded several takes of the song, although these were unnumbered and somewhat ad-hoc. In between takes they also busked through versions of Teddy Boy and Maggie Mae.

The recording was the subject of a famous exchange between McCartney and George Harrison, captured by cameras during the Let It Be filming:

Paul: It’s complicated now. We can get it simpler, and then complicate it where it needs complications.
George: It’s not complicated.
Paul: This one is like, shall we play guitars through Hey Jude… well, I don’t think we should.
George: OK, well I don’t mind. I’ll play, you know, whatever you want me to play, or I wont play at all if you don’t want to me to play. Whatever it is that will please you, I’ll do it.
Let It Be, 24 January 1969

The Beatles returned to ‘Two Of Us’ for almost all the remaining January 1969 sessions, but it wasn’t until the 31st that they taped the version which ended up on Let It Be. It was remixed by Phil Spector for the album on 25 March 1970.

John Lennon’s introduction (“‘I Dig A Pygmy’ by Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf Aids. Phase one, in which Doris gets her oats”) – spoken during the 21 January session at Apple Studios – was added later, from a tape of studio chatter assembled on 27 March 1970.


This song reminds me of my dear brother who drove my then girlfriend and now wife all over the country and abroad (France, Germany, Belgium Holland) and one of his favourite tricks was to test his sense of direction and try and get lost . . . . . he would say 'let's turn left here and see where it goes'. His staggering sense of direction never failed him. Mine would have ended us in the Channel! 
Once when we stayed on in Holland after he decided to go home and leave us there, my wife and I found ourselves on Amsterdam railway station at 3.00am and no idea what to do or where to go! If Steve my brother had stayed with us it just wouldn't have happened . . . . . . . . . at some time or other he would have just say 'Let's go home, now' . . . . . . and we did.

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead . . . . . . 

I'll bid you all Good Night . . . it is late here nearly 11.00pm




No comments: