portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

The Doors - Break On Through - first tv appearance - SHEBANG KTLA-TV Channel 5 Los Angeles California host:Casey Kasem

 And at that moment the world began . . . . . . . . . . . 


 . . . . . . I think I have mentioned before that The Doors and their first album was played to me by I thought then my American pen friend and school visitor from Portland Oregon Mike, who played me Frank Zappa, the first album mothers of Invention Freak Out and Lumpy Gravy, Clear Light and then some others but it turns out to have been also my old friend Alan Bateman, who was an older Grammar School boy, and I went to school with his younger brother Keith, but Alan who collected Americana of the day, played me The Doors, Country Joe & The Fish, possibly Love 'Forever Changes', and we played hooky from school to see The Doors play The Roundhouse in the late sixties . . . . . .as soon I heard the opening riff of Break On Through I was hooked, gone, mesmerised and seeing them was the pinnacle of my musical experience . . .the place was exotic (to me) and filled with smoke and sweet smelling 'incense' . . . . . . . . . break on through to the other side yeah . . . . . 

You tubers JimJohnRayRobby posted this and note:
The Doors´ first television appearance - the band mimes to a playback (though Jim didn´t like playbacks at all) of their first single, "Break On Through." This video has been audio-dubbed by a fan some years ago, but only the song, the intro & end are still original. The recording date remains uncertain, probably it was not 1967-1-1 but 1967-1-30 - I´ve also read it could have been March 6th in 1967.

No comments: