portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, May 02, 2018

And NO I didn't buy this one but it has a hook that will drive you nuts and was just thinking about what David Byrne was saying recently about pop! (see below!)

This is it!



Hah!




On this day in music history: May 1, 1976 - “Let Your Love Flow” by The Bellamy Brothers hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 1 week, also peaking at #2 on the Adult Contemporary chart on the same date. Written by Larry E. Williams, it is the biggest hit for the country/pop duo from Darby, FL. Songwriter Larry Williams, who previous had worked as a roadie for singer Neil Diamond in the 70’s, originally offers the song to his boss, but turns it down. Producer Phil Gernhard hears of the song from Williams, and cuts it on The Bellamy Brothers. The brothers label Warner/Curb rush releases it as a single in early January of 1976, when they find out about a competing version about to be released by ABC Records. Entering the Hot 100 at #88 on January 31, 1976, it climbs to the top of the chart thirteen weeks later. “Let Your Love Flow” is also a big hit outside the US, topping the charts in Canada and Germany, and hitting the top ten in more than a half dozen other countries. The song is later featured in the teen comedy/coming of age film “Little Darlings” starring Tatum O'Neal and Kristy McNichol. “Let Your Love Flow” is certified Gold in the US by the RIAA.
thanks to the most excellent Jeff Harris' blog 'Behind The Grooves

Most of the songs on this playlist are total earworms for me. They’re not all current—I’ve been accumulating them for some time, but I sense they do have something in common. Though the sounds and styles vary, I’d say that one has to admire the skill and craft involved in the creation of these hooks, the incremental dribbling out of little surprises and the production that holds your attention.
I subscribe to most of those aims and values as well, but I’m saddled with trying to keep my eccentricities while still having catchy choruses and an accessible sound. I listen and learn from these songs and their production, while still perversely holding onto the idea that I can also do it my own way. I love collaborating, but I’m too much of a control freak to ever completely let go of the reigns. But I can still sit back, enjoy and sing along.

You can listen here (and hopefully sing along, too!).

DB
NYC

PS: The artwork used for this playlist is by Gary Grayson

The Master at Work

No comments: