portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

For Jobe (over at Voodoo Wagon) - in the absence of anyone (let alone me!) playing my guitar[s] as he asked whether I had any recordings  . . . . . here are two of my favourite guitars. It is thought Johnson played a Kalamazoo guitar, a cheap, or rather budget, acoustic during the depression and I have one that rings like a bell. It is said when he returned from some none specified break that he had done a deal with the devil down at the crossroads as he could play like a demon! I figure he locked himself away and got the 'blues' and just practiced, practised, practiced!  . . . . . . . but that's just me. This man is the reason Eric Clapton plays like he does IMHO. 



Born on this day: May 8, 1911 - Iconic blues singer, songwriter and guitarist Robert Johnson (born Robert Leroy Johnson in Hazlehurst, MS). Happy Birthday to one of the most influential musicians of the twentieth century born one hundred seven years ago today.Despite only extent recordings of his numbering some 29 songs!

My beloved Kalamazoo KG14 - currently worth about £1400 and not what I paid for it but also about at least half what you would pay for a Gibson L-O





 and my favourite Harmony H162 also has strong sound and easy to play rings like a bell and cost me about £90 and current is worth about £400 a poor man's Martin






No comments: