portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, March 09, 2019

DREAMS

KEROUAC/ISHIGURO


I had been thinking about the dream work we did at art college and how much Jack Kerouac's 'Book Of Dreams' affected me at the time that I posted it on Facebook to bid my fellow friends a 'good night'. 
A group of fellow students and I set up a group to meet in the evenings to discuss poetry and then an off shoot become an interest in dream recall. You can (one can) train one self to recall dreams with very little effort something akin to setting one's body clock or circadian rhythms to awake at a set time which presumably can interrupt the last cycle of REM sleep when dreams occur and bring forth the most recent dream landscape. I believe I got this technique directly from Kerouac's book. 

We quickly became quite adept at this and wrote down our dreams then shared them at several meetings. I think I lost enthusiasm when I realised a fellow student's dreams would always be somewhat more exotic than my own more mundane dreams which consisted of landscape dreams and timeless long sequences featuring events and places where nothing much happened. My fellow student, the extraordinary and wonderful Carol Jones who went on to work in Arts Administration I believe, always seem to have incredibly vivid surreal dreams that involved on one occasion as I recall legions of flamingos in wellingtons marching down the street where she lived. I never forgot that image as mine sank into mundanity!


The City Lights cover of Kerouac's 'Book of Dreams'
Then suddenly stumbled across this




1. Unwarranted Emotion
2. Unwarranted Relationship
3. Delayed realization (ENTER/EXIT)
4. Odd postures—figurative postures + escaped metaphors
5. Placing
6. Weird Venues
7. Extended, tangential monologues
8. Distorted time frame
9. Unwarranted recognition of place
10. Private enclaves
11. Unwarranted familiarity with situation (or person or place)
12. Characters from foreign contexts
13. Characters continuing under different surfaces
14. Distorted Logistics
15. Transmuting Narrator
16. Partial invisibility (And odd witnessing)
17. Backward projection of Intentions
18. Bleeding with Memory
19. BACKWARD projection of Judgment
20. Restricted Witnessing
21. Tunnel Memory
22. The Dim Torch Narrative Mode
23. Crowds—Unwarranted Uniformity
24. Robert Altman [illegible]
25. (“More than I expected”) Unwarranted Expectation
26. MIXED PERSONALITY

No comments: