portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

COFFEE?


Nearly forgot Emily Barker's Monday morning’s Music + Coffee combo. 



Here she plugs my favourite coffee shop and my son and his wife live a spit spot away from Burrough Market where Monmouth have a shop and they bring me the most fabulous ethically fair-traded coffees, great staff who I chatted to (virtually) the other day as they had sold out of one of the coffees I liked and they said they hoped to get more in and would let me know! How do you get THAT kind of service!?

all that coupled with Bobbie Gentry and Glen Campbell . . . . . . . 


Emily says:


Whenever I'm in Nashville, I always visit
Grimey's New & Preloved Music
. Despite records not being the easiest thing to travel with, I can never resist getting at least one from great record stores I come across on tour. The shop regularly hosts in-stores and I've seen Billy Bragg play there during Americana Festival a few years back. I found this Bobbie Gentry and Glen Campbell record on the sale rack on one of my visits (can you see the price sticker in the top right hand corner?), and it's a beauty. I really enjoy their version of John Hartford's 'Gentle on my mind' song, and the production is so elaborate with strings and horns and the bathroom sink on almost every track. Thank you Grimey's!
When I first moved to the UK in 2000, it was really hard to find a cafe that served a decent coffee, even in London!
Monmouth Coffee
in Covent Garden was pretty much the only place back then, so I went whenever I could. Ahead of the third wave coffee movement, Monmouth have been sourcing ethical beans for small hold farmers from across the globe for decades now. This Yirgacheffe is so good and is farmed by Alemayehu Daniel Miju whose grandfather started the family coffee farm in 1946. Tasting notes are "dried pineapple and honey with watermelon acidity and medium body – light roast". So good!


N.B. I just love how Emily starts with "Whenever I'm in Nashville . . . . . . ."  how cool is that?!

 

No comments: