portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, October 10, 2020

 And I still I miss John Prine . . . . . . . . .


The Other Side Of Town - John Prine


It's the birthday of singer-songwriter John Prine, born in Maywood, Illinois (1946). He got a job working at the post office in his hometown, and he started playing in coffee shops, but no one paid any attention to him. Then one day, the film critic Roget Ebert went to see a movie that he didn't like very much, so he walked out of the theater early and headed down the street to get a beer instead. He happened to go to the bar where Prine was playing as background music. And so instead of writing a movie review that week, Ebert wrote a review called "Singing Mailman Delivers the Message," and suddenly John Prine had a full house every time he played.

John Prine died of complications from COVID-19 on April 7th, 2020.







Happy Birthday Handsome Johnny!





I first really came John Prine through liking Bonnie Raitt who covered his 'Angel From Montgomery' and I thought I wonder who wrote that song . . . . . . and then we saw Nanci Griffith here in my home town and she sang 'The Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness' and I found out it was written by John . . . then after buying a compilation of his best work (Great Days) and buying everything since, I saw this video on my TV . . . . . . . great sets and great band. I was hooked

John Prine - Live at The Point, Dublin 'The Sessions' program with Lyle Lovett (here with John Hagan) plus Jimmie Dale Gilmore UK TV Broadcast Chanel 4 


I have been looking for this ever since . . . . . . . . 

Say good night John boy . . . . . . . . . 

No comments: