portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, November 30, 2023

More From the BBC Vaults - MOODY BLUES IN CONCERT 1986 | Albums That Should Exist

Moody Blues - Live at the Apollo OXFORD 1986 - Albums That Should Exist



Never their biggest fan though curiously find I am of their main singer guitarist songwriter Justin Hayward this is a treat for fans as its quality is beyond expectations and is of course at my local venue in the centre of the city here

Paul says:

I just posted a Moody Blues concert for the BBC in the 1980s a few days ago. But I recently found two of them, so here's the other one before it slips my mind.


This concert has a lot of similarities with the other one I just posted, from 1984, two years earlier. For instance, all the expected big hits are on both, like "Tuesday Afternoon," "Nights in White Satin," and "Question." Both concerts even start with "Gemini Dream." However, I'm posting both concerts because there are plenty of differences too. That's helped by the fact that the band had a hit album in 1986 with two hit songs, "Your Wildest Dreams" and "The Other Side of Life." Naturally, they played those two, plus two more from that "The Other Side of Life" album, "Rock 'n' Roll Over You" and "It May Be a Fire." Additionally, they played other songs here not in the other concert, like "New Horizons" and "Veteran Cosmic Rocker," and there are five songs in that 1984 that weren't played here.

Unfortunately, the BBC seemed to have meddled in this recording more than usual. In particular, I'm pretty sure there was a lot of applause added. Most of the songs came from one source, but I found two from a different source. Those two songs have way less applause, a more reasonable amount. Heck, there was massive applause all through the banter before the song "Veteran Cosmic Rocker," which didn't make sense. I couldn't really undo the cheering, but I did get rid of most of it during the banter. And I actually boosted it on the two songs from the different source, so they'd fit in with the rest.

Another problem was that the vocals were consistently low in the mix for all the songs. So I boosted them all using the audio editing program UVR5.

This concert is an hour and 20 minutes long. That's a decent length for a concert, but the BBC edited some songs out. I had to cut out some banter before "Veteran Cosmic Rocker," because it mentioned three songs about to be played, but only one actually was included here.


01 Gemini Dream
02 The Voice
03 Rock 'n' Roll Over You 
04 talk 
05 Tuesday Afternoon 
06 Your Wildest Dreams 
07 The Story in Your Eyes
08 Isn't Life Strange 
09 It May Be a Fire
10 talk (Moody Blues)
11 Veteran Cosmic Rocker 
12 New Horizons 
13 The Other Side of Life
14 I'm Just a Singer [In a Rock and Roll Band] 
15 Question
16 Nights in White Satin 


No comments: