portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, June 10, 2018

DANNY KIRWAN

 - passes at 68
This is THE band Fleetwood Mac . . . . . . 




look at the youngster stage left! 
My favourite version of a favourite song by Mertis John (1955) and first sung by his brother the legendary Little Willie John who Peter will have based his tribute version on, beautiful song, beautifully sung,  a timeless masterpiece IMHO



and you know we bought this single when it came out and still have it . . . . . . . 


for Danny


Sacked from the band for his drinking after Peter and Jeremy had long left, Danny appears to have struggled in life despite releasing four solo albums


Over the second half of the Seventies, Kirwan released four solo albums. However, Kirwan's next few decades were reportedly marred by bouts of mental health issues and homelessness.
"I've been through a bit of a rough patch but I'm not too bad," Kirwan told the Independent in a rare interview in 1993, it seems he had been living in a hostel for the homeless run by the wonderful St Mungo's for the past four years but had his own place, seemingly a basement flat in Brixton the area of his birth for some five years or so prior
 to that. This was brought to light after Mick Fleetwood asked the Missing Person Bureau to seek out their former guitarist. "I get by and I suppose I am homeless, but then I've never really had a home since our early days on tour. I couldn't handle it all mentally and I had to get out. I can't settle."






No comments: