portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, June 26, 2018



Well again the extraordinarily eclectic Aquarium Drunkard has produced a fifth (count 'em) volume of  the Women of Country music series they have been making available as mixtapes over recent times



Their whole mixtape backlist is astonishing and I particularly liked this series of women in country music. Second only to the eclecticism of the Mixtapes named after compiler Maison Dufreyne which are also worth checking out. The latest set is country gals and their respective partners (at the time at least!)




Vol 5 - Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra
George Jones & Tammy Wynette – Golden Ring
Dolly Parton & Porter Wagoner – Ten Four, Over and Out
Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn – You’re The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly
Bonnie Owens & Merle Haggard – Forever and Ever
Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra – Jackson
Roy Drusky And Priscilla Mitchell – Yes, Mr. Peters
Loretta Lynn & Ernest Tubb – Mr. & Mrs. Used To Be
Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash – Oh, What A Good Thing We Had
George Jones & Melba Montgomery – We Must Have Been Out of Our Minds
George Jones & Tammy Wynette – Did You Ever?
Dolly Parton & Porter Wagoner – Tomorrow Is Forever





Vol 4 - Linda Ronstadt
Jeannie C. Riley – Country Girl
Brenda Lee – Johnny One-Time
Tammy Wynette – Womanhood
Bobbie Gentry – Seasons Come, Seasons Go
Dolly Parton – Touch Your Woman
Tanya Tucker – New York City Song
Jeanne Pruett – Satin Sheets
Billie Jo Spears – Put A Little Love In Your Heart
Sammi Smith – Sunday Morning Coming Down
Linda Ronstadt – Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
Dolly Parton – Gonna Hurry (As Slow As I Can)






Vol 3 - Goldie HawnSkeeter Davis – Silver Threads and Golden Needles
Bonnie Owens – My Hi-fi to Cry By
Lois Williams – Girl Named Sam
Lynn Anderson – I Wish I Was A Little Boy Again
Dolly Parton – My Blue Tears (demo)
Sammi Smith – Kentucky
Goldie Hawn – I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight
June Carter – Jukebox Blues
Connie Smith – Once A Day
Minnie Pearl – Giddy Up Go Answer
Loretta Lynn – Don’t Come Home A Drinkin’
Kitty Wells – I’ve Been Loving You Too Long To Stop Now
Dolly Parton – Tomorrow is Forever (solo demo)




Vol 2 - Dolly
Tammy Wynette – Your Good Girl’s Gonna Go Bad
Sue Thompson – Who’s Gonna Mow Your Grass?
Donna Fargo – The Happiest Girl In The Whole USA
Lynn Anderson – If I Kiss You (Will You Go Away?)
Melba Montgomery – The World Didn’t Cost Me A Dime
Norma Jean – Heaven Help The Working Girl
Dolly Parton – Games People Play
Nancy Sinatra – Hello L.A., Bye-Bye Birmingham
Wanda Jackson – I Wonder Could I Live There Anymore
Wilma Burgess – Baby
Skeeter Davis – My Last Date (With You)
Jeannie Seely – Can I Sleep In Your Arms
Jody Miller – Natural Woman


Vol 1 - Linda Ronstadt
Tammy Wynette – Tonight My Baby’s Coming Home
Bobbie Gentry – Mississippi Delta
Tanya Tucker – What’s Your Momma’s Name
Wanda Jackson – Wasted
Connie Smith – If It Ain’t Love
Jean Shepard – A Satisfied Mind
Nancy Sinatra – Get While The Gettin’s Good
Dolly Parton – My Blue Tears
Loretta Lynn – Bargain Basement Dress
Patsy Cline – Ain’t No Wheels On This Ship
Norma Jean – He’s All I Got
Linda Ronstadt – I Won’t Be Hangin’ ‘Round
Kitty Wells – Delta Dawn


Enjoy! I know I did . . . . and am!

No comments: