portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, October 03, 2018


GEOFF EMERICK 

4 December 1946 -  2 October 2018

I guess I am just at that age where my heroes and people I admired are passing away but I still of as young somehow. I am sad to report the passing away of Geoff Emerick who would be my choice for the 'fifth Beatle' as he was so intimately involved in those early experimental days in the studio when the Beatles were expanding the boundaries of contemporary music. He was 20 when asked to help them out as the older engineers where so out of touch with the younger generation apart from George Martin and it is he who suggested the younger man may help the fab four achieve what they were trying to get to. Working on Revolver, Sgt Pepper some of the White Album and Abbey Road. He is a legend. It was Emerick who sorted out John's desire to get a particular vocal sound effect by recording him through a swirling Leslie speaker amongst many many other things. Quite how his wonderful book 'Here, There, and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of The Beatles' remains out of print is beyond me.* It is well written and to the Beatles fan totally indispensable. A truly great musical engineer and pioneer and our thoughts go out to his friends and family and loved ones








* It seems I am wrong although Amazon don't have it they have plenty of sellers who have and say that it's new but the price changed since Geoff's passing away the other days and the paperback was available for under ten pounds and is now listed at under £15.[harrumph call me a cynic . . . ] I heartily recommend it as a truly insightful and fascinating read.
paperback available here . . . . .

2 comments:

Phil Munday said...

Sad news Andy. Wonderful work on Imperial Bedroom (1982) as well, one of the most enduring Elvis & The Attractions records.

Andy Swapp said...

Thanks for dropping by Phil. Knew we can rely on you to add something interesting. I didn't know that he worked as engineer on Elvis' Imperial Bedroom and don't have it in the Swappers vaults either! I should get it I reckon for that reason alone it should be worth a listen. Thanks!