portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, July 25, 2022

Song of The Day :: To Love Somebody | various artists

  • Track Name

    To Love Somebody

  • Album

    The Complete Goldwax Singles

  • Artist

    James Carr

James Carr - To Love Somebody (1969)

"Maybe you know Nina Simone’s fabulous version of this tune, but this is the one that absolutely tears me apart.  The Bee Gees had hoped that Otis Redding would cover it but he never go the chance.  James Carr kills it." Guess I'm Dumb

James Carr did Dark End of The Street another perennial sad love song but here I guess I do prefer Nina's version . . . . . . still interesting to hear Carr's versions, the arrangement and all 

The original Nina Simone single bought when it came out from the bargain ex-jukebox bins . . . . and still a stone classic


I liked early Bee Gees though they left me cold with later hits Saturday Night Fever and the disco stuff. I am talking Robin singing I Started a Joke, songs like Words, Springhill Mining Disaster etc, Gotta Get a Message. Massachusetts, and pre 'You should be dancing', 'Jive Talking' etc etc although I do appreciate how well they were done and written  .  . . . . just not my trick bag!

by the people who wrote it . . . . . . all the way from the Isle of Man!




with great Thanks to Guess I'm Dumb for the Carr and the suggestion



No comments: