portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, October 30, 2022

Quintessence - Move Into The Light The Complete Island Recordings (1969-71 UK, brilliant multicoloured raga psych rock, 2017 double disc remaster) - PLAIN & FANCY

 QUINTESSENCE!

I think I may have posted this band before but covered here from the Best of Island Records and remastered comes a band I saw live at The Who Live at The Oval (in support of Bangladesh) and I loved this sound and their quasi- spiritual songs . . . . . The Who were to prove a different story ENTIRELY!

All I recall at that early in the day but oddly there were vast clouds of smoke drifting across the cricket ground and I couldn't quite work out what precisely was on fire . . . . . . . . curiously after a while I didn't really care! Strange huh?

Here from Rockasteria (Plain & Fancy to you and me!)  

Quintessence Move Into The Light 1969-1971 - Plain & Fancy



Gange Mai everyone!














Of course the story goes that by the time The Who came on things had been influenced rather heavily by copious quantities of beer and the highlight for yours truly as I made my way towards the stage to get closer was that I got hit on the head with an empty pipkin* of beer!

It didn't make an awful lot of difference to be fair but I was younger then!


The text by Kevin Rathert, dated May 2, 2017, over at Rockasteria is well worth a read 

The Band:
Quintessence
*Phil ‘Shiva Shankar’ Jones - Vocals, Keyboards, Hand Drums
*Ron ‘Raja Ram’ Rothfield - Flutes, Bells, Percussion, Raspers, Chimes
*Allan Mostert - Lead Guitar
*Dave ‘Maha Dev’ Codling - Rhythm Guitar
*Richard ‘Shambu Babaji’ Vaughan - Bass Guitar
*Jeremy ‘Jake’ Milton - Drums
With
*Mike - Sitar
*Surya - Tamboura
*Vidya Bahen Jee - Vocals (Sri Ram Chant)
*Sita Devi Jee - Tamboura, Violin
*Musetta - Tamboura
*Ned Balen - Tablas, Shenai

Sep 18, 1971
Goodbye Summer
The Who / The Faces / Atomic Rooster / Eugene Wallis / America / Mott the Hoople / Quintessence / Lindisfarne / Greaseband / Cochise


* a pipkin contained about 5 pints of beer, so pretty big!
Quintessence - Live on John Peel Sessions 1970 4th Oct

2 comments:

diamonddave said...

Hi Andy, Not visited much lately - Covid and other such crap - so catching up on things, and found this on The Who/Goodbye Summer. I too was there, one of my first ever gigs methinks. Still got the program somewhere. Can't remember too much about Quintessence, but do remember Faces & The Who - they were brilliant. Moon dressed in cricket outfit complete with pads etc. and trashing his kit at the end. Marvellous. Also remember there being some guy who would be stark naked and danced throughout the whole day. Saw him at other events too (wondered what happened to him? Probably now the Governor of the Bank of England!!).
Thanks for the memories and keep up the good work. DD

Andy Swapp said...

Hey Diamond! Thanks for dropping by! COVID-19 as in you have had it?!?!
Heck its a bummer huh?
Hope you are feeling better and no signs of long covid or any such and thanks so much for the comments.
How old ARE you!? Ha ha ha ha you must be as old as me! Heck that was a good day that concert and I recall most of the bands and yet Quintessence really stuck in my head for some reasons (bloody hippies!) and The Faces and even the Who became something of a blur as the day wore on, for reasons best known to someone else! Ahem!
We nearly had a crash on the way back as we all nodded off at the wheel so am happy to live to tell the tale like you my friend!
Always welcome Dave!