portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, February 19, 2024

Albums That Should Exist : Fiona Apple Cover Songs Vol II 2006 - 2011

So once again Albums that Should Exist (Paul) goes into overdrive and has compiled these fine albums no. 1 from Fiona Apple’s covers 

Fiona Apple Cover Songs Vol II - 2006 - ATSE


Paul says: 
"As I said in my write-up for Volume 1 in this series, I hadn't known much about Fiona Apple's music, but I helped Mike Solof post an alternate version of one of her albums, and I liked what I heard. I checked to see if she had any non-album tracks worth sharing, and I discovered a cornucopia of cover versions, enough for four volumes. Here's the second volume.
Also as I said with my Volume 1 write-up, I was impressed with the depth of her musical knowledge as shown by the cover songs she's performed. That's even more evident with Volume 2. The vast majority of the songs here are good and interesting, yet obscure.
Three songs are unreleased. The first two were done in concert with Elvis Costello, and come from a bootleg. "Angel Eyes" appeared in the 2008 movie "Largo" but was never released on a soundtrack. 
The rest come from a mix of official sources. For instance, "Why Try to Change Me Now" and "I Walk a Little Faster" come from a Cy Coleman" tribute album and "Everyday" comes from a Buddy Holly Tribute album. Margaret Cho is a famous comedian who also has had a music career, and "Hey Big Dog" comes from one of her albums. See the mp3 tags for more details like that.
There are two bonus tracks, "Walking After Midnight" and "When I Get Low, I Get High." Those come from audience bootlegs of concerts, and the sound quality just wasn't good enough to be included with the rest of the songs."

This album is 42 minutes long.

 

01 I Want You (with Elvis Costello)
02 Shabby Doll (with Elvis Costello)
03 Sally's Song 
04 Still I (with Christophe Deluy)
05 Angel Eyes 
06 Why Try to Change Me Now 
07 I Walk a Little Faster 
08 Hey Big Dog (with Margaret Cho)
09 So Sleepy ( with Jon Brion & the Punch Brothers)
10 Everyday  


Bonus tracks 
Walking After Midnight 
When I Get Low, I Get High ( with Nickel Creek)


 Get it, you won’t be disappointed . . . 

Fiona Apple covered The Waterboys’ The Whole of the Moon for the series finale of Showtime’s The Affair.
 

No comments: