portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, February 13, 2024

ANNIVERSARY OF ‘WITHNAIL & I'

"I must say, that represents a level of hypocrisy in you that I'd previously suspected, but not noticed due to your highly evasive skills."

The film debuts of both Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann, the wonderful 'Withnail and I' was released in the UK on this day in 1988. It remains one of my favourite comedy films of all time. 
“Get in The Back of THE VAN!"

I have watched it over over 27 times (watched since but stopped counting!)  and we even started a ‘club’ to celebrate it at work! I own several copies of it (VHS, DVD) the screenplay and books by its author Bruce Robinson ever since (possibly the last work of fiction I read . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman - masterful!

“WE’VE GONE ON HOLIDAY BY MISTAKE!

still my favourite version of Hamlet’s soliloquy . . . . .



Look at that. "Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.

I dedicate this to a fellow member of The Withnail Club my old colleague and friend Phil!

No comments: