portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Bob Dylan Song of The Day :: BORN IN TIME Göteborg, Sweden June 10, 1998

 This fine fine love song (sic) posted yesterday on YouTube and seemingly amateur phone shot film but the sound is eminently listenable and it is such a great performance I just had to!

I wasn’t aware as so many other fans when he last did this live and we can check* but it struck me as so fresh and alive and vital a song some eight years here after Bobby wrote it . . . . . beautiful song

Born in Time

(Under a Red Sky 1990)


Born in Time

WRITTEN BY: BOB DYLAN


In the lonely night

In the blinking stardust of a pale blue light

You’re comin’ thru to me in black and white

When we were made of dreams


You’re blowing down the shaky street

You’re hearing my heart beat

In the record-breaking heat

Where we were born in time


Not one more night, not one more kiss

Not this time baby, no more of this

Takes too much skill, takes too much will

It’s revealing

You came, you saw, just like the law

You married young, just like your ma

You tried and tried, you made me slide

You left me reelin’ with this feelin’


On the rising curve

Where the ways of nature will test every nerve

You won’t get anything you don’t deserve

Where we were born in time


You pressed me once, you pressed me twice

You hang the flame, you’ll pay the price

Oh babe, that fire

Is still smokin’

You were snow, you were rain

You were striped, you were plain

Oh babe, truer words

Have not been spoken or broken


In the hills of mystery

In the foggy web of destiny

You can have what’s left of me

Where we were born in time

Copyright © 1990 by Special Rider Music

I include the lyrics here so you can hear and follow what Bob does with most (all?) his songs whilst in full flow and when he has a mind to and the switches and alterations in lyrics often seemingly as he goes along. Change a word here,  and switch a phrase there. This is deceptively hard if you ask me [nobody is - ED] How does he DO that!?


Bob Dylan - vocal & guitar 

Bucky Baxter - pedal steel guitar & electric slide guitar

Larry Campbell - guitar

Tony Garnier - bass

David Kemper - drums & percussion


* so I did! 56 times he has done it live!!!!

Bob Dylan - Born In Time setlists


Thanks to jinal007 for posting

No comments: