portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

SUMMER SOUNDS of THE DAY! MAMAS & PAPAS : CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'

 


Mamas & Papas - California Dreamin’

a classic pop song of the sixties era and no mistake but it always reminds me of an account of John Philips' drug addiction that I believe I read in Danny Sugarman’s Wonderland Avenue (sic?) or somesuch which referred to the heroin use of Philips where he was injecting something like every 17 minutes!
His sexual proclivities are not for the nervous either (sic Sick!) . . . . . . . . the others, Mama Cass we lost around the time of Jimi, Jim Morrison and Janis; Michelle, aah the beautiful Michelle went on to film and character acting fame associating with Dennis Hopper et al and of course Denny who I had first come across with Zal Yanovsky as part of the Mugwumps who introduced me to such songs as You Can’t Read a Book (By Looking at The Cover) etc

Worth a research into their various biographies and no mistake! But maybe not for those of a delicate constitution!?
Belies the Sugary sweet California dream!?

The Dream Was Over! Maybe even then . . . . . . . (cheerful cove ain’t I?)




No comments: