portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Monday, July 03, 2023

Tony (T.S.) McPhee's Blues Band LIVE Oxford Pennyfarthing 1983



LIVE  
Oxford Pennyfarthing   
1983


Leader of the legendary British band 
The Groundhogs
McPhee was given the nickname "T.S." (standing for "Tough Shit")
 when he released a duet single with Champion Jack Dupree in the 60s!
Worth posting and remarkably good quality with what I assume is an audience recording and I post here because I think I missed this one locally despite working for the neighbouring MOMA in Oxford a matter of yards away from the ‘Penny’ (I saw Spirit there! - sort of well, Randy and what was left of the band, a trio as I recall) but in my cups must have missed this one!

RIP
March 23 1944  - June 6  2023

Thee Band (Maybe)
Tony McPhee : guitar, vocals
Mick Kirton : drums
? Alan Fish? or Phil ? : bass guitar

TRACKS
Disc #1
  1. Dead Air                    1:22
  2. Express Man                 2:50
  3. Don't Start Me Talkin'      3:26
  4. I'm Ready                   3:11
  5. I Want You To Love Me       4:39
  6. No More Doggin'             6:38
  7. Groundhog Blues             6:20
  8. Soldier                     4:50
  9. 3744 James Road             7:35
 10. Eccentric // Man            7:29
 11. Garden                      6:35
 12. Light My Light              6:17
 13. Born To Be With You         4:14
 14. Mistreated                  5:47
 15. audience                    1:27
Total Time : [72:41]

 - encore -
  1. Dead Air                    0:44
  2. Split II >                  7:20
  3. Cherry Red                 10:56
  4. Down At The Bottom          5:38


Tony McPhee at The Pennyfarthing Pub basement Oxford


3 comments:

diamonddave said...

Haha, just found this myself on Soundaboard, and wondered if you'd found it.
Brought back some great memories of the Pennyfarthing; was lucky enough to have played there a few times too - hot damp and sweaty, and that was just the bar staff!! Great place back in the day. Don't know what it is now (I recollect it was a lap-dancing bar for a while - ahem, so someone told me!!). Didn't know McPhee had played there either. Rock on!
Keep up the good work, neighbour. DD

Andy Swapp said...

Ha ha I knew you’d know it! (Lapdancing club notwithstanding obvs!?!) You say “lucky enough to have played there” which makes me feel I have missed something! You played in a band? Still? Would I or might I have seen you? I used to mix with quite a few local musos? A couple of pals still do!
What do you play?
Tell me more, come on spill!!!

;)

diamonddave said...

Yes I played, and still play, in a few bands Andy. Have done since a teenager, and still love it. All semi-pro bands - claim to fame being supported an Iron Maiden guitarist and DJ Steve Wright - rocknroll! I now play bass guitar in a 60's band, and a rock covers band, thereby covering all my tastes! Keep on rocking in the free world neighbour. DD