portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Saturday, July 22, 2023

JUSTIN HAWKINS RIDES AGAIN! [Podcast, YouTube and Facebook]

 I’ve just discovered a new podcast and new (to me) video blog from the excellent Justin Hawkins (he of The Darkness) discussing all things pop and music generally. I found it on the Facebook (sic) ha ha ha . . .and I really enjoyed listening to him expounding thereon. 

I though at first it might be a bit negative as the first clip I played seemed really aggressively anti (who needs that right?) but he explored Maroon 5 being (rubbish!) and also something about Liam Payne (sic) is he from One Direction?! ( Now I like Harry Styles from them and have enjoyed the fact that that boy can really sing! (honestly he CAN!) but I didn’t quite GET what he was saying about Liam who is friends with Lewis C and I was a bit put off but then he went on and I thought oh heck he is going to have a pop at Taylor Sift and I was pleasantly surprised but not only his musicianship but his anecdote about listening to her new single and then an earlier album that had come ‘back’ around thanks to his daughter playing it at home and them both listening to it together and see . . . . . . its all a delight! As a major dramatic rocker par excellence who would have expected him to be pro The 1975, Taylor Swift and Lewis Capaldi!? Not me!

He is at once uncritical appreciative of musical talent and hard work and everything creative an egoless talent!


Fun right?
 . . . . . . . . . . . now he goes on to reflect upon 1975 (he likes them Matty Healy especially! my daughter will be doubtless pleased to note) and apart from Harry, Matty and 1975 and Taylor he seems to be a fascinating cove who is more than capable of shining a light on their songwriting, singing and I like listening to him play. I think he is lucky enough to have perfect pitch (witness his playing along with Taylor and working out the key she is playing and singing in)

He also mentions with a deep and affectionate regard for Lewis Capaldi which we like and reflects upon Lewis’ use of ostinato* (I know right!) and here are some links to the Facebook entrees below and we finish with the Lewis reflection 

https://fb.watch/lXtndAqwVf/


Justin on Liam Payne


https://fb.watch/lX-dSYj47u/

Panic! At The Disco cover The Darkness?!


https://fb.watch/lXtrIf3kCB/


Justin on 1975



https://fb.watch/lXwhFnD8aq/


Justin on The Truth THE KILLERS Mr Brightside




On Lewis Capaldi (and Ostinato!?)




subscribe you know you want to!


*Ostinato is used in music to describe a musical phrase or rhythm that is repeated persistently. The repeated pattern could be a melody, a figure in the bass – called a basso ostinato or simply a repeated rhythmic idea



No comments: